Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Mom I Hope To Be

In our lives we all have some sort of mentor. In the book I just read it was a random man walking along the highway for one young girl. For some people it's an older brother, a teacher, a bishop, a good friend. For each of us it's completely different. This person gives us advice when we truly need it and somehow they know exactly what to say. Many might say, "well, that's just like my Mom. She's always there for advice." But I know that not everyone has the greatest mom in the world and sometimes they have to look for help elsewhere. I'm one of the lucky ones. If you have never really known my mother then you have missed a huge blessing in your life. Although it is not Mother's Day I would like to say that this is what motivates me in my life today.

At work the other day I realized that I think I could live with my Mother for the rest of my life and have no problems. Do I want to grow up and hopefully get married someday? Yes, of course I do, but I'm just saying that if life happened that I needed to live with my mother for the rest of it then I would be just fine with that. I mentioned this to one of my co-workers while I was working and she said, "Really?! Oh I could never do that!" That is when I realized how blessed I am to have such a wonderful Mother.

I suppose it's actually a legacy. My Mother is so great because her Mother was so great! I suppose my Grandmother was so great because her Mother was so great and it probably continues back quite a ways. These women are selfless and kind and as close to perfect as most of us could ever get.

Just yesterday I was quite discouraged and I was telling my Mother about my own problems and what I had tried to make things better, but also how no matter what I tried I couldn't figure it out. I remember thinking, "What would my Mom tell me? What could she have to say that I haven't already tried?" Well, I don't know where it came from or how she knew what to say, but she knew exactly what to say. With all of her love and her wisdom she carefully tried to help me and let me know that I still had my own agency while she was at it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is my motivation today is my Mom. Not necessarily because she gave me life or because she makes dinner every night. But, because she knows exactly what I need and how I need it. She gives me good reason to keep going on my darkest days. Sometimes I like to think that she was like me when she was my age and that by some miracle I could learn to be like her while going through this life. So as amazing as I may think I am or you may think I am, my Mom is even more AMAZING! She doesn't even need Amazing tagged on to her name because it is engraved in every action of every day. So look to those people in your life that are Amazing! Let them motivate you to be better. Let them help you keep going. It doesn't have to be your Mom. It doesn't even have to be anyone you know really well. Just find them and keep going!

No comments:

Post a Comment